Combat-Related Special Compensation FAQs

Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC) is special monetary compensation for retired veterans with a verifiable combat-related disability.

If you believe you are eligible for CRSC, you must apply for it with the branch of service (Air Force, Marine Corps, Army, Navy, or Coast Guard) you served in and retired from.

A DD Form 2860 must be completed and sent to your branch of service for approval. You should also include your DD214 retirement form, your retirement orders, Purple Heart award citations, documentation from your service and VA records that apply specifically to your combat-related disability, and your VA ratings. Retired reservists with 20 or more years of military service should additionally include a statement or letter of service.

Berry Law Firm is a veteran-focused legal team that is solely dedicated to serving the needs of veterans, including those who suffered combat-related disabilities and who have been denied CRSC for those disabilities. Please contact us online or by phone today for a free consultation.  

What Is the Difference Between CRDP and CRSC?

Both CRSC and Concurrent Retirement Disability Pay (CRDP) are congressional legislation that enables eligible retired veterans who suffered a combat-related disability to get monthly entitlements in addition to their military retirement pay.

CRSC is an additional, non-taxable compensation for combat-related disabilities that veterans must apply for through their branch of military service. CRDP, which is taxable and is automatically given to eligible retired veterans, makes up the difference in retirement pay that is lost because of a VA compensation offset.

Retired veterans cannot receive both benefits simultaneously but must choose each year which benefit they want if they are eligible for both of them.

How Long Does It Take to Process a CRSC claim?

Once your branch of service receives your CRSC claim, it will take about 30 days to process it and receive a written decision about your claim.

VA Disability and CRSC

To receive CRSC, you must be officially rated by the VA with combat-related disabilities of 10% or more. The VA must certify that your disabilities are directly related to your participation in combat actions.

CRSC Eligibility

To be eligible for CRSC, you must be entitled to – or already getting – military retirement pay, waive any VA pay from your branch of service, and have a 10% or higher VA-rated combat-related disability.

How Berry Law Firm Can Help with CRSC Benefits

Unfortunately, we are unable to assist with strictly CRSC claims. However, if you have been denied a VA disability claim, we may be able to help. Our team can appeal your VA rating decision and help fight for your CRSC benefits.

Berry Law Firm is almost entirely made up of veterans just like you. We are dedicated to serving all veterans throughout the United States and helping them get the military benefits and compensation they are entitled to. Find out more about how we can help you. Call us or contact us online today for a free consultation about your veteran’s compensation claim.