Combat Related Special Compensation Lawyer

Combat Related Special Compensation Lawyer

Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC) is a special monetary compensation program in addition to military retirement pay that was enacted by Congress for retired Veterans who have a verifiable combat-related disability. This program allows some disabled Veterans to receive some of their retirement money from the Department of Defense that was subtracted from their VA disability compensation.

Do I Qualify for CRSC?

According to the Defense Finance Accounting Service (DFAS), one of the following criteria must be met for you to qualify for CRSC:

  • You have to be eligible to receive or already receiving military retirement pay.
  • The Department of Veterans’ Affairs (VA) must have rated you with at least a 10% combat-related disability.
  • VA pay that you may be receiving must be waived from your military retirement pay.
  • You must apply for CRSC with the military branch of service that you served in and retired from.

If you received injuries during war games, from military weaponry, during armed conflict, or during hazardous duty, the disabilities that you have may be considered to be combat-related.

If these scenarios apply to you, then you should apply for CRSC:

  • You believe you may be eligible for CRSC, but you have never applied for it.
  • You have been approved for CRSC, but you have more disabilities that may qualify now than when you originally applied for it.
  • The VA has recently updated your rating to include additional disabilities that may qualify.

For example, the VA’s coverage for retired Veterans who were exposed to Agent Orange during the Vietnam War has now been extended to cover these medical conditions: ischemic heart disease, Chronic B-Cell Leukemia, Parkinson’s Disease, and Hairy Cell Leukemia. If your VA rating includes one of these conditions, you should think about an application or re-application for CRSC.

How Do I Get CRSC?

To get CRSC, you must apply for it with the branch of service (Air Force, Marine Corps, Army, Navy, or Coast Guard) you served in and retired from.

If this is your first time applying for CRSC, you need to complete a DD Form 2860. If you are reapplying for CRSC because of new disabilities, you will need to request a reconsideration application from the military branch of service you served in:

Navy/Marine Corps – Reconsideration instructions and applications are at:

Army – Reconsideration instructions and applications are at:

Air Force – For reconsideration, call (800)-525-0102.

Coast Guard – For reconsideration, call (202) 795-6631 and ask for the Coast Guard CRSC Coordinator.

You should also include all documentation that you believe can help your case. These may include items like the following:

  • Your DD214 military retirement form
  • Your military retirement orders
  • All Purple Heart award citations.
  • All documentation from both your military service and VA medical records that apply specifically to your combat-related disabilities
  • Your VA ratings.
  • Retired military reservists with 20 or more years of service should include their 20-year statement or letter of service.

Your branch of service will make the decisions regarding your application for CRSC based on what you provide. Remember that the quality of the information you provide weighs much more heavily in the decision-making process than the quantity of information.

You are not able to apply for CRSC electronically. Mail a copy – not the original – of your CRSC application to your branch of service:

Coast Guard

United States Coast Guard


Personnel Service Center

2703 Martin Luther King Jr. AVE SE

Washington, DC 20593-7200


Department of the Army

U.S. Army Human Resources Command

ATTN: CRSC Division

1600 Spearhead Division Avenue

Fort Knox, KY 40122

Marine Corps/Navy

Department of Navy

Secretary of the Navy Council of Review Boards

Combat Related Special Compensation

720 Kennon Street SE, Suite 309

Washington Navy Yard, DC 20374-5023

Air Force

United States Air Force Personnel Center

Disability Division (CRSC)

550 C Street West, Suite 6

Randolph AFB, TX 78150-4708

It takes about 30 days to process CRSC applications. Your branch will send you letter with their decision after that, and if you are approved, monthly payments of CRSC will begin.

Can I Get CRSC and VA Disability Compensation?

Yes, you can get CRSC and VA disability compensation. You will typically receive three separate payments when you get CRSC: your regular military retirement pay with a VA waiver that offsets your VA disability compensation, your VA disability compensation, and your CRSC.

Is CRSC Tax-Free?

Yes. CRSC is a non-taxable entitlement.

Is CRSC Retroactive?

Yes. If you were entitled to compensation before you were initially awarded CRSC, you will be paid the full amount owed you within two months of the receipt of your CRSC.

How Berry Law Firm Can Help You

If you are a retired military Veteran who is considering filing for Combat Related Special Compensation alongside an increase in your VA rating, the experienced VA Appeals lawyers at Berry Law Firm are here to assist you. Our team of attorneys is comprised of Veterans who are committed to serving other Veterans. We know how to help you secure the military benefits that you are entitled to, and we will not rest until your financial future is secured.

Unfortunately, we do not assist with CRSC unless it is a part of the VA disability rating case. If you need assistance with a CRSC claim, please use the links above.

Berry Law

The attorneys at Berry Law Firm are dedicated to helping injured Veterans. With extensive experience working with VA disability claims, Berry Law can help you with your disability appeals.

Related Posts

Afghanistan War Symptoms
Afghanistan War Symptoms
Answers to Your Top VA Disability Questions
Answers to Your Top VA Disability Questions
Getting Help for Your PTSD
Getting Help for Your PTSD

Subscribe to our E-newsletter

The Service Connection

Our monthly newsletter features about important and up-to-date veterans' law news, keeping you informed about the changes that matter.

Skip to content